Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Curses

Just as I was reading mt SIL Nat's blog post the other day, I got very smug. She had three kids sick with the barfies at her house. I felt bad for the poor girl, but very glad it wasn't me. Nope- all healthy here.

THEN-- At precisely 11pm last night as I was lying in bed, almost to dreamland, a little K wandered in my room. Not so unusual- maybe she needed to go potty or something. Well, it was or something. I reached over and felt her tiny body. Wet? Pee? NO. NO! NO!!! It was the barfies. In her hair, on the jammies, and ALL over the bed. A real masterpiece. Fantastic. So I got her going in the tubbie while hubs got the bed end of things. (Or should I say bad end of things.) Hubs is always the cleaner of the barfies. It's just how we do it around here. Sick kid is sad, wants mom, crying for mom- so dad gets the barf. He took care of things, and I took care of things, and then he went back to bed.

I, however, stayed up till 2am with K. Making sure we didn't have a relapse. No relapse. I put her in her bed. At 3am she woke up. I snuggled her for a while and put her back to bed. 5am. K again. We are in the middle of the best thunder and lightning storm seen around these parts in quite a while. Very impressive. So impressive that it woke up K and the older two kids two. By 5:30 I had everyone back in bed. Alarm goes off at 6:30 to get up and get showered. I am supposed to volunteer in Erin's class today. Not going to happen. Hit snooze. Go back to bed. Can't sleep because it is still raining something fierce- and windy. Hubs gets up at 7; I at 7:30. Time to get the big kids up and off to school. And I am going back to bed, at least for a little while. Hopefully it all was a fluke, and the worst is over. But maybe I shouldn't be thinking that.
So, if you are reading this- a word of caution. Don't you be thinking, "Gee, too bad. But I am glad it isn't me. All healthy here!" You could be next!


5 comments:

Nat said...

Hey! Guess what? Just yesterday I was thinking "Gee, glad it only hit my kids and not me." Um, yeah. Last night it hit me hard. Thankfully, it only seems to be a 24-hour bug. That still didn't make the endless trips to the bathroom all night long more fun, though.

I hope it's only K that gets sick at your house!

Klin said...

Well I have rationed the sickness to one kid a week and me last weekend. I only have 2 kids to go. :/

Poor K. Hubs gets the yucky job here, too. It's because I tend to follow suit if I do the clean up.

Wasn't the storm so cool? I loved it.

Kar said...

Dude, I feel so bad for Nat. And for you. Hopefully your other two didn't get it? I'm praying it doesn't hit us - we got it this last spring HARD CORE. I haven't been that sick in years. I would love for it to skip us this season...

The Wilson Family said...

AHHHH all this waiting is killing me!!

Christy said...

I love your writing style in this post! Love it! Love it! Made me giggle!
Hope K is feeling better and no one else gets the barfie curse!