Saturday, April 26, 2014

Jeff's 40th Birthday

For Jeff's 40th birthday I wanted to pull off a surprise getaway. I first started dreaming big- like Disneyland. Then budget and babysitting realities came into focus and I decided to aim a little smaller. An overnight getaway to Park City could still be a welcome change from the normal hum of life. Up until the day before I didn't know if I would be able to pull it off. The kids had been taking turns all week getting sick and I even got hit pretty hard. Jeff was the only one to escape the sickness and I was worried it would get him right in time for his birthday. Luckily it didn't and so the plan was on! 

I booked a room at The Torchlight Inn B&B in Park City, UT. I had our bags packed and hidden in the garage. When Jeff came home from work I transferred the suitcase to his trunk. I was hoping to convince him we were just going to dinner, but Ryan had other plans. As soon as dad walked in the door Ryan told him ,"Mom is taking you to a ho-tel!" Oh well. So much for the surprise. Suzy was at our house to babysit so we said goodbye and headed out. I drove so Jeff would at least have the surprise of where we were headed. We made it to Park City and checked into our room. Then we went to dinner. I let Jeff choose. We ended up at Zupa's. Perfect for a rainy April night. Then we caught a late night showing of Divergent at the theater.I am not normally an action movie gal, but I knew it was right up Jeff's alley, so I sacrificed for his sake. Surprisingly, I liked the movie and even stayed awake for the entire movie. We didn't get back to the bed and breakfast until after midnight. Breakfast in the morning was divine! The owners of the B&B were wonderful and I would definitely recommend it and go back again. After checking out we headed to the outlets for a little shopping and lunch and made it home.


The view from our room.

Birthday selfie

The Torchlight Inn B&B

Then it was on to Phase 2 of the birthday surprise. I had Suzy and the kids decorate while we were away. And she also made Hawaiian cake- Jeff's birthday cake request. I came home and made an apple pie. I had already purchased a cheesecake from Costco the day before. After dinner his friends started arriving for a pie/dessert night celebration. Guests included Mark & Kelly Petersen (&kids), Paul & Kristin Barrus (&kids), Tyler and Kristen Crockett, Sherwin & Laurielyn Harris (&kids), and Richard Petersen.
The spread of pies/cakes

Lots of people to help celebrate

Make a wish!

No comments: