"What if she says no? I just don't think that I could take that kind of a rejection."- George McFly (Back to the Future)
Well, it turns out that we can take rejection. And lots of it. From many different people. Jeff was laid off from his job two weeks ago. His company couldn't pay him any more, so they let him go as well as another guy. And the six other people that still have jobs there might only have one for another few months. The company is not doing well at all.
So we are doing okay. Still have shelter, heat, food, and faith. Jeff is looking and applying for jobs all over the country like a mad man. We like to call it the "Blitz". We have a few opportunities here, and some very far away. But we have also gotten plenty of the rejections. No interviews yet, but we are waiting. Jeff's spirits are still up. We have been through this twice before in our marriage, so we kind of know how to play this game already. Definitely no getting attached to any job or locale until there is an accepted offer.
In the mean time I have been looking for a little part-time something to supplement the income (or lack thereof). Turns out the school district has already hired 50 too many substitutes, so my degree is not helping in that way. I heard of a need at our local library- for a storytime performer. That is the person that does the little story time for little kids at the library. They were looking for someone outgoing, able to sing, dance, wear costumes, and make a basic fool of themself on a daily basis. See- I can do THAT! So I applied and actually got an interview. Whoo-who! At the interview I was informed that nearly 50 people applied for the job, and only 15 were being interviewed. So congratulations on making it that far. I was asked some questions, and then had to put on my performance. This consisted of a song, a finger play, and reading part of a book. No problem. Then for the curve ball. A table full of random props. And I do mean random. A mammoth puppet, a paper mache flamingo, a viking hat.... and I had a minute to do a little improv with some of the things. What???? But I made it through, and made the interviewers smile. Interview over. Ready for the kicker? They would call the one person who got the job by 5:00 that night. Everyone else would know that they didn't get the job, because by 5:00 they will have gotten NO phone call. LAME. Is that professional? So I sat at home waiting. And waiting. And by 5:00 I figured that I had been the lucky recipient of the no phone call rejection. Nice. I am doing fine with this and I will be going to story time next week to see who the lucky phone call recipient was. And why they are so much better than me.
So what am I supposed to learn from this little experience? A greater empathy for Jeff who has to deal with this way more often than me? A boost in my faith? Maybe Jeff will get a job so soon that I didn't even need the job because I would just have to quit anyway. I think that mostly I have learned that it wasn't meant to be. For whatever reason. I just need to know that the Lord is looking out for me and my family. He is aware of my situation, and everything will work out. We will end up at the job and the location where we need to be. And He knows where that is. And since I don't I just need to have the faith in Him. He can carry the burden if I let him. I have also learned that being compelled to be humble isn't very fun, but I needed to learn humility and a greater reliance on the Lord. I can't and don't need to do it all by myself. There is help!
So, if you know of anyone looking for the best web/graphic/multimedia designer there is~ and they pay money, and benefits~ Jeff is the guy! We are willing to relocate if necessary. Just email Jeff or I and let us know. We figure the more eyes and ears that are looking and listening the better. You just never know where the one right thing will come from!
7 years ago

16 comments:
I love your job "interview" experience! I'm sorry you didn't get it, but like you said, the Lord knows what we need from every experience. I'll sure keep my eyes out for Jeff. Good luck with the job search!
I noticed that story time performer job posting too (Jason and I have been doing the job hunt thing as well). Sorry you did get the job! I hear the health care industry is the way to go, maybe there's a health care business out there that needs a web/graphic designer. Good luck!
I was so sad to read this post. Was it etrafficers that he got laid off from? I just didn't know if he got a different job since then. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised since the mortgage industry is really doing badly, but I didn't even think about it affecting etrafficers. I hope you guys find something soon and I will definitely keep my eyes open.
I cried when you said you didn't get the job. I happen to know you would be the best, I have seen you in action! We will keep you in our prayers and I'll have Troy watch out for something. He does have contact with lots of customers. I am so impressed with your faith. Stay strong, we love you guys!
Okay Amy, that's too sad...no phone call, eh? I really wish I could have watched the interview! HAH! I bet you were hilarious :o) I'll call you soon!
Amy I am so sorry! I wish there was some way that we could help! You will be in our prayers!
So I was thinking maybe Jeff should apply at Blizzard (makers of World of Warcraft) so I popped on over to their website and sure enough, they are looking for a graphic designer. Give Jeff this link if he is interested. I hear they are a cool company to work for....
http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/o-web-graphic-designer.html
Man, I know how this feels. It is always amazing to look back and see the Lord's hand in everything. Write down (like you just did) of the things you learn and you'll be amazed of the growth you experience! Deanna
HI Amy, Long time no see. I have a blog too. I'll have to get your email address and invite you. Anyway I was going to tell you about some freelance sites that some friends of ours have made ALOT of money off of. It is called elance. It isn't that great for graphic designers because all these people totally big low from like the other side of the world. But if he does programming and other stuff like that, he may find alot of work. Anyway hope that helps. There are also some other sites out there to. Our friends actually quit their job and support themselves fully from work they found on this site.
We are thinking of you guys as well. I really wish I would have seen that interview. I know you well enough to know it was good. Good Luck! you have the right attitude, I know it will work out and we will keep a look out!
Amy, I need your e-mail address. Troy sent me a name who said to have Jeff send him a resume. Mine is tjwardle@yahoo.com
You are really ballsy for not just walking out of that interview! You have guts! I would have been like, "You want me to do WHAT??" Thanks for your kind words on my blog. We are both in the same boat. Oh my gosh, it just occurred to me that my friend, Megan's, husband works for an internet graphics place, and they're looking for someone. Let me call and get her hubby's number, and then I'll e-mail you. Um... do I have your e-mail address? Okay. I'll just have to put his number on here. Give me a minute...
Okay. My friend's name is Megan, and her husband's name is Mark. Mark Blethen. His work number is 208-528-9593. He gets into the office at about 8:15 every morning, so have Jeff call him after that. Good luck. And if you hear of anyone that needs an architect, you can let me know!!
I'm so sorry guys! That is NOT fun. Apply in TEXAS! Lots of tech industry here.....though the economy is sucking for lots of people right now. Have you tried private tutoring? That is what I do here and it is quite profitable. I work very minimal hours (could work more if I wanted to) but I charge anywhere from $15 to $40 per hour depending on the subject content, demand, etc. Go around to a few of the schools and leave a flier with teachers with what you can tutor in and how to reach you. Target 3rd and 5th grade especially since that is where the gates are in place. Anyway, we will keep your family in our prayers!
Amy--
I loved your story...hey I would of hired you in a minute--you're great with kids!!! On a more serious note...we love you and will keep you in our prayers!! In the mean time...what can we do to help out?? You better let me know!!! If you don't I'll just keep buggn' you!!
Ang
I loved the curve ball from the interview. I would have paid money to see that! I am glad the Lord knows what you need. Have you seen the lucky phone call recipient in action yet? p.s. this is laurie
Post a Comment