Tuesday, December 2, 2008

If it's flashing...

Then you should pull over. If you are on your way to a yummy Thanksgiving dinner, and it turns on, just keep driving. So yeah, it came on and five days later I finally get to the mechanic to get things checked out. Turns out it could be a few things, none of which I really want to pay for right now. So he cleared the codes, which reset the light. So for the next little while until it comes on again, and it surely will, I will drive around pretending that everything is just fine. Because I want to. Because it is almost Christmas and it is my gift to myself. Because I would rather spend money on gifts than a total beast of a car. At least that is what I am telling myself. Because if I don't it just might make me sad and sap away all my holiday cheer. And I don't need that. It's way too early in December for that. Plus, the mechanic told me that if it was flashing it's real bad. Like pull over to the side of the road immediately, bad. Like engine damage, bad. So for now, it is off and I am going to enjoy my drive to the library tomorrow. Ignorance is bliss, right?


This is the thing- check engine light. Not my friend right now.

7 comments:

Soozee Carmichael said...

Oh, that's no bueno! I'm sorry! I totally know how that goes, with car issues and what not. At least your car is running still! I will pray for you!

Just Us said...

Ohhhh, I hate that! If anyone understands having the bad car blues, we do! I hope it holds on to life!

Christy said...

absolutely hilarious! My check engine light came on on Thanksgiving too! I took it in for an oil change and 40 miles later the light went off! There is nothing worse than a stupid check engine light! Just gives the mechanic an opportunity to sell you something that you may not even REALLY need! Ignorance is bliss, for some of us it may be something totally different that we are ignoring though :)

Nat said...

Just ignore it and it will go away, right? Until your husband's car dies while you're at Young Women's last night, though no little light went on to indicate any problems would occur, and his coworker and his sis-in-law had to help get him home. YAY for car trouble!

Mike said...

Amy, I fancy myself a back yard mechanic. I would be more than happy to come help fix your car if, when it breaks down.

MakingChanges said...

Amen to that. Good to know about the flashing light. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Kar said...

Cars suck. We need to fix several things in each car, which we are ignoring. Of course, some things you can ignore, and others you can't. Like the feeling I got that my brakes needed to be checked. And on my way to get them checked, they went out on me and I plowed into another car!!!