We had an awesome 4th of July this year. The festivities actually started a few days earlier at the Hot Air Balloon Launch. Ethan and Erin got the chance to go inside the air part of a balloon before it was all the way inflated, and Ethan "piloted" a balloon by pulling on the burner a few times. It was awesome to see all the balloons up on the ground even though they couldn't take off due to wind conditions. Our favorites were Smokey the Bear, Tony the Tiger, and all the Red, White, and Blue!
On the night of the 3rd, we headed over to the Sidewalk of Fire, hosted by two awesome families in our ward. There was a children's parade, treats, rocket launcher fun (candy, rockets, glow sticks- thanks honey!) and then a fantastic legal fireworks display. The city had fire trucks driving through neighborhoods making sure people were safe. When they got to ours they decided to stay awhile. They said it was the best party they had seen all night.
And for the FIRST time ever (I know, really, the first time) we took our kids to the Grand Parade on the morning of the 4th. It was fun, and made more awesome by the fact that a friend saved us some spots close up to the street. Favorites were the fire trucks, royalty floats (Erin), the zooming tank (Ethan), helium balloons (K), and the LDS missionaries float. The kids were done before it was all the way over, but we made it to the end anyway. Just a bit too hot and steamy. I don't anticipate the parade becoming a tradition, but we did go. I'll leave it up to the kids next year.
Later in the afternoon we took the kids downtown to check out the booths and pioneer recreations. K fell asleep in the car and stayed asleep in the stroller for most of it. Erin got her face painted with a sparkly butterfly and Ethan purchased an awesome bow and arrow set. Ethan tested out a pillory, and we also had to buy some snowies as it was sooooo HOT.
It was a fun holiday this year. I'm glad we got out and did all the things we have been wanting to do for the past 10 years but never did. I hope you all had a great holiday too!
7 years ago




8 comments:
Cute pictures Amy! Ours wasn't as eventful as yours, hopefully next year I'll be with you at all of these festivities!
I never knew that was called a pillory! Hm! You learn something new every day. Yeah, the parade is always too hot for me every year, but my kids love it, and my sister saves us a spot, so we do it. I loved that your neighborhood calls it Sidewalk of Fire. So funny! And how interesting that the fire trucks actually patrol to make sure people are shooting off legal fireworks. No one checks here. Everyone buys illegal fireworks here! :)
If they spoof up the parade and we go again we will so save you spaces again. It was fun to sit and chat with you and watch the kids play.
You took lots of pics! I need to do better;)
I'm sure you've shared with your kids your fun Smokey the Bear experience from student teaching... :)
We miss the Provo parade. Nothing else compares, though it is very hot.
It sounds like you guys had a blast! I have to admit, when I went to pick Adam up from the parade route (in Provo) to head to Delta's parade, I was extremely grateful for my routine of going to a small town parade. Since I'm always alone on summer holidays, avoiding chaos is a good thing.
So was the hot air balloon thing at the buttcrack of dawn? Because I remember going to that with my family in...Jackson, I think, and we had to get up SO early, and it was SO cold! I hated that! But I'm glad you guys had a good experience. It sounds like your 4th was amazing.
WOW!!! It sounds like you had a great 4th. I didn't even know that Provo did any of those things. It cracks me up that there is a Missionary Float. Only in Provo. We never made it to Lagoon but Justin said it wasn't as cool as King's Island.
Miss ya,
Rachel
Totally awesome! I love hearing about 4th of July celebrations...FUN!
Post a Comment