Sunday, May 31, 2009

Birthday Boy

Somehow, I have a nine year old. Crazy times. Ethan's birthday was on Thursday. He had field day at school that morning, which he asked me to volunteer to help at. Which I did, because it was his birthday. I wanted to have a little surprise for him at school. But since we had to be there at the same time it complicated my plans a bit. But I found an awesome teacher friend who delivered the birthday balloons to his classroom before school for me.

School got out after lunch, so I thought it would be fun to take the kids to the pool. It was a hot day and it would provide us a diversion until dad got home. Tip- check the schedule before you leave! The pool was open, but two hours later than usual. We drove around and made a few stops before getting to go swim.

Once dad got home it was present time! Ethan got an awesome Lego Knight's Castle set from his grandparents in KY, a camo comforter from his local grandparents, and mom and dad got him a Razor scooter and a gift certificate for a bedroom redo. (He is ready for the dinosaurs to become extinct.)

After presents we went to dinner. Ethan got to pick. First choice- Tucanos. (Nice try- but too expensive. I asked him why he wanted to go there. His answer was the grilled pineapple. So I told him that if he chose somewhere else I would grill him a whole pineapple at home later.) His second choice was Chuck-A-Rama. My grandparents took us there earlier this year and Ethan was in heaven. We went with the theme but ended up at Golden Corral instead. *Note his compartmentalist tendencies. Each food had to have it's own plate. No worries- just job security for the dishwasher.
Ethan: "They said this place is all-you-can-eat. But I think they are wrong. It's more-than-you can-eat!"

The next day was the Last Day of School!!! And the friend birthday party. Ethan went with the invite lots of friends to get many presents approach. We had ten friends over for a pizza movie night. They ate and played, watched Jumanji, ate cake** and ice cream, and watched Ethan open the present load. They had fun and I survived fairly well considering I woke up that morning with a bad flu bug. The cake got made and the decorations were up though. Jeff was a big help in keeping things running.
**The baseball cake- what Ethan wanted. He is still hooked on baseball thanks to our trip to Kentucky and the Bats Game and Slugger Museum.

And finally- a snapshot of my then newborn babe. Ethan I love you! You have made my life so exciting. I am happy to be your mom. You are creative and smart, a super swimmer, and a good big brother to your sisters. It has been so fun teaching you, loving you, and watching you grow and learn. You will always be my buggy!

8 comments:

Kar said...

Amy, I think you are such a fantastic mom. I totally look up to you and hope to be as creative, loving, energetic a mom as you are. I love that cake. I need to come up with ideas for Dylan's. Also, do you do a friend party every year, or every other year? Just curious. And figuring out what I want to do.

Natalie said...

What a great day for Ethan! I can't wait to see pictures of his new room.

The Wilson Family said...

Hey!! Good job Amy...I think dropping balloons off to his classroom was so sweet. You are a great Mommy, hope you're feeling better!

Jackee said...

I'm so sorry you were so sick! I hope you're feeling better. The girls had a blast! It was a fun party.

Klin said...

I heard all about this party and Jordan's party in primary. The kids loved it.

Happy Birthday to your Ethan.

Nat said...

You forgot something-Ethan is a great cousin, too!

I LOVE that cake! Did you make it, or have it made? So cool! We've kind of started the going out for dinner thing on birthdays, which is something my parents did with us, and I loved that tradition.

I saw your comment on Kar's blog about the Mississippi Mud bars-I'll have to send you the recipe.

Soozee Carmichael said...

Wow, I can't believe Ethan is 9!!! I remember when he was just a baby...that's crazy! I'm glad you all are feeling better and that everything worked out!!

Just Us said...

Amy, I just realized that I don't have your email address! So I am doing this the old-fashioned way, leaving a blog comment. If you really want to know more about the mattress, let me know. Also, I think you convinced me to come to Provo to hang out with you guys and then get some mocktinis at that new place. I'm thirsty just thinking about it. My email address bytheway is jthesavage (at) gmail.com