So, I was watching the Today Show this morning (for about 10 minutes while the kids were still groggy), and now I know why I am so tired! They reported that the average mom loses 700 hours of sleep the first year of her baby's life! That explains a lot. Since Katelyn still doesn't sleep through the night- I consider myself up to 1050 hours of lost sleep.
And do you ever forget things? Well, apparently us moms can get "momnesia." “It’s a state of the female brain that is a bit forgetful after she’s had a baby," says Dr. Louann Brizendine. I am amazed at how much I actually remember- doctor appointments, diaper changes, feeding schedules, recipes, birthdates and social security numbers of five people! But I will be the first to admit that I do have moments of momnesia. Like when I was at the checkout of the grocery store, all rung up, and no wallet! Okay, that has happened more than once. But I did remember everything on my list and the diaper bag and the kids! Another episode- standing at the fridge and thinking to myself, "What was I going to get?" Contrary to the report, however, I feel that momnesia will never get better, but slowly worsen over time. So I have committed to being a list maker and I write down most everything in my planner or on the calendar. So please don't be offended if I forget your birthday or what your favorite color is- I have momnesia. Feel free to share your favorite momnesia moments if you can remember them. It will make me feel like I am not the only one!
7 years ago

1 comment:
Hmmm, trying to remember a momnesia moment-isn't that an oxymoron? I've always been a list-maker, so I don't have many of those moments, but I'm always forgetting something I was going to take downstairs or upstairs until I'm at the destination, then I have to go back for it.
Post a Comment